Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart."♥

Lesson 1: I am beautiful.


and so are you(: Absolutely everyone is beautiful in their own way. Yes boys, you too. God made each and every one of us and that is enough to guarantee that we are perfectly made. I admit this was one of the toughest lessons that I've had to learn. All my life I struggled with my self image and it made my past years pretty difficult. I avoided picture taking and looking in mirrors for extended periods of time. Yeah, it was that bad. Then one day I just looked in the mirror and I was like "Hey, I'm beautiful. Maybe not in the way today's society defines it. But in my own way." I honestly have no clue where this came from. I think it kind of originated from a class I took this past semester called "Gender Roles in Society". It covered things like why we shouldn't listen to what society tells us about ourselves and listen more to how we truly feel about ourselves. For as long as I can remember I've always thought things such as "Why can't I be as pretty as her?" or "Why can't I be as thin and gorgeous as the models on tv?". Now, that's totally changed. I see the beauty in everyone (including myself) and it's an amazing feeling. 


Here are some of my personal tips on how to completely change your attitude about yourself and others. Keep in my mind, I'm just saying this worked for me...results may vary(: Haha.


-I know that sometimes when I see someone I might automatically think "Wow, she really should brush her hair more often." or "Gosh he is really awkwardly skinny." I started thinking about how I do that and I realized that I really do not want people to judge me that harshly, even to themselves. So when I walk past someone and I'm truly paying attention to the people around me I try to think of their positive qualities. So I might instead say "I love her dress!" or "He has a really cute smile." Thinking positively about others helped me A LOT.


-Find clothes and accessories that accent aspects of yourself you do like! I know, this is a tip that has been given a billion times. But once I came to terms that certain things just don't look as good with my body type, I was much more content with my physical appearance. Instead, I shopped for things that flattered me.


-Stay away from people who bring you down. I once had a "best friend" who would constantly make comments that suggested I was fat, ugly, etc. She never straight out called me any of those names but she sure hinted at it. I kept thinking "No way. She's my best friend and she would never think that way about me." WRONG. I had to realize that true friends are the ones who raise you up all the time. Surround yourself with positive people.


Well, that's it for today(: I'll close with this absolutely ADORABLE video I found. I know there are better videos describing this awesome project...but I just adore his accent!

No comments:

Post a Comment